What ages of children do you see?
We typically see children aged 4 years and up. However we have seen an occasional 3 year old also. He sees children all the way up to 18 years of age. Our Child and Adolescent services are available to young adults as well.
What are your qualifications?
Dr. Javed is a board certified child and adolescent psychiatrist. He is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He is also a diplomate of the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine. He has also trained in herbal medicines.
Do you work with other health care providers?
Care for children is best done in teams. Our clinic can work with other specialties like schools, occupational therapists, psychotherapists, play therapists, pediatricians.
Why do we do a complete assessment for children?
A child is the thermometer of the state of the environment around him. Oftentimes a problem in a child is because of something problematic in the environment. For example pesticide use in our food is causing problems in our children. Latest research shows that the rates of autism are higher in areas where there is pesticide use. Similarly, conflict around a child can affect the child’s mental health and happiness. A child needs a complete assessment of its biology and its environment.
What is included in the assessment of a child?
We assess children in a number of ways:
- The genetics of a family or ancestry
- The psychological assessment of child and parents
- The biological assessment of the family
- The learning patterns of children
- The safety of a family’s living environment
- Social supports of the family
Do you work with children diagnosed with autism?
Yes we do. Our holistic approach is particularly well suited to helping children who have been diagnosed with autism. Children with Autism benefit from interventions based on neuropsychological evaluation, nutritional medicine and a functional medicine approach. At the same time since we can use evidence based medicine to guide psychopharmacological, social and academic interventions.
How do you work with PANS/PANDAS?
PANS/PANDAS is a condition that is poorly understood. Evidence based protocols and research is limited. Working with families who are dealing with this immune condition is often about personalizing care. PANS/PANDAS requires a whole treatment team. We have our team members in the community and our clinic with whom we work. Usually a Psychiatrist, Immunologist, Rheumatologist, Pediatrician, Neurologist, Herbalist, Nutritionist, Psychotherapist all have to work in unison. Our clinic with its integrative model is ideal to team up with other Providers in the community to support and treat struggling children and families.
Read More About PANS/PANDAS
What kind of medical treatments do you use with children?
- Lifestyle measures like circadian rhythm support and mindfulness training with children can help build a child’s own resilience.
- Food as medicine can be very powerful in children’s health.
- We also use nutrients like Magnesium, Chromium, Zinc and Iron to help a child make up for any nutritional deficiencies.
- We use evidence based pharmacological measures based on the most recent guidelines.
- Acupuncture can be very effective for children but sometimes when they are scared of the needles using some gentle essential oils can ground them.
Do children respond to herbs?
Herbal medicine for children is based on using food as medicine. There are some “kiddie herbs” that can help support children’s development.
What other problems do children come to us for?
We see children dealing with all sorts of issues. We have treated:
- Behavioral problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Substance use problems