A Holistic Approach to Mental Health for Young People
At Integrative Psychiatry Austin, we believe in a holistic approach to mental health for young people, as this helps them on the pathway to healing and resilience. There are many different reasons why children and adolescents need integrated solutions for mental health, and we are here to provide that support. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.
What ages of children do you see?
We typically see children aged 4 years and up. However, we do see an occasional 3-year-old as well. Dr. Javed sees children all the way up to 18 years of age. Our child and adolescent services are available to young adults as well.
What are your qualifications?
Dr. Javed is a board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrist. He is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and is a diplomate of the American Board of Integrative and Holistic Medicine. He has also trained in herbal medicines.
Do you work with other health care providers?
Care for children is best done in teams. Our clinic can work with other specialties, including schools, occupational therapists, psychotherapists, play therapists, and pediatricians.
Why do we do a complete assessment for children?
A child is the thermometer of the state of the environment around him or her. Oftentimes, a child struggles with problems due to something problematic in their environment. For example, pesticide use in our food is causing problems in our children. The latest research shows that the rates of autism are higher in areas where there is heavy pesticide use. Similarly, conflict around a child can affect a child’s mental health and happiness. A child needs a complete assessment of his or her biology and environment.
Integrative Psychiatry Austin assesses children in a number of ways, including:
- The genetics of a family or ancestry
- The psychological assessment of child and parents
- The biological assessment of the family
- The learning patterns of children
- The safety of a family’s living environment
- Social supports of the family
Do you work with children diagnosed with autism?
Yes, we do. Our holistic approach is particularly well suited to helping children who have been diagnosed with autism. Children with Autism benefit from interventions based on neuropsychological evaluation, nutritional medicine, and a functional medicine approach. At the same time, we can also use evidence-based medicine to guide psychopharmacological, social, and academic interventions.
How do you work with PANS/PANDAS?
PANS/PANDAS is a condition that is poorly understood. Evidence-based protocols and research is limited. Working with families who are dealing with this immune condition is often about personalized care. PANS/PANDAS requires a whole treatment team. We work with team members in the community and at our clinic. Usually, a psychiatrist, immunologist, rheumatologist, pediatrician, neurologist, herbalist, nutritionist, and psychotherapist are all required to work in unison. The integrative model used at our clinic is ideal for partnering with other providers in the community to support and treat struggling children and families.
What kind of medical treatments do you use with children?
- Lifestyle measures like circadian rhythm support and mindfulness training with children can help build a child’s own resilience.
- Food as medicine can be very powerful in children’s health.
- We also use nutrients like Magnesium, Chromium, Zinc, and Iron to help a child make up for any nutritional deficiencies.
- We use evidence-based pharmacological measures based on the most recent guidelines.
- Acupuncture can be very effective for children. If they are scared of the needles, then using some gentle essential oils can help to ground them.
Do children respond to herbs?
Herbal medicine for children is based on using food as medicine. There are some “kiddie herbs” that can help support children’s development.
Holistic Services Tailored For Each Person’s Individual Needs
- Academic, Family, Personal Counseling
- Nutritional Medicine
- Neuropsychological Testing